The Scott County Historical Society
At the Scott County Historical Society, we strive to make history relevant and fun! Our vision is to be a countywide professional institution taking a leadership role in managing Scott County historical resources. We serve our communities through preserving information and making it available through professional collection practices, exhibits and education/outreach programs for people of all ages.
Our Organizational History
The Scott County Historical Society incorporated in 1969. Its goals were to locate, collect, preserve and exhibit historic material and to interpret and disseminate the history of Scott County. One of its first projects was to establish the Minnesota Valley Restoration Project. With this project accounting for a significant amount of SCHS’ resources, the collection, local research and exhibition functions of the Society were temporarily placed on hold.
In 1994, the Scott County Historical Society received a substantial grant from the Stans Foundation, which contributed the museum building, restored 1908 Dutch Colonial boyhood home of Maurice Stans and started an endowment fund. The Scott County Historical Society became the owner and custodian of the Stans government and African Collections.
Today, our collections include books, photographs, artifacts, oral histories, newspapers and other material limited to items related to Scott County and its residents. The Society’s programs and exhibits are designed to meet Minnesota Standards for Teaching Social Studies benchmarks.
Alpha Site Archaeology Project
The Metro Collaborative (Scott, Dakota and Anoka County Historical Societies), received a MN Arts and Cultural Heritage Legacy grant to research and update the information on Alpha Sites in each county. The collaborative participated in the Minnesota Alliance of Local History Museums conference – please see the link below for the project update given at the conference.
Click here for a PowerPoint presentation
The garden has a lovely path with a Pergola tunnel from the Historic 1908 Stans House (which is perfect for bride’s use), to an open lawn area suitable for over 100 guests.
Poor weather? No problem… your ceremony can take place in the Museum atrium.